Look, I know I’m lucky to live the life I do. I KNOW. Tonight, I had to change channels away from the news before Vivi saw a picture of a child killed by poison gas in Syria. I flipped to local news where she saw coverage of the school hostage situation near Atlanta. Nope. A quick punch of the remote and there’s Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins with his fangs hanging out. I know, I know.
Then my mom guilt kicked in that I wasn’t spending 5pm-7pm doing a craft project from Pinterest with my adorable children while a healthy, balanced, organic, free range, fair trade, non-GMO, locally sourced meal from Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook simmered in our solar crockpot. Nope, G was heading to pick up pizza. Non-organic pizza because we had a coupon, dammit. And we ate it off of Sonic the Hedgehog paper plates left over from a birthday party.
I know we are lucky to have money for pizza, a roof over our heads, birthday party paper plates, and a TV. Still, today has left me spluttering. I saw a sign once that said, “Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.” It’ll kill you, but it takes a good long while.
Top Five Stupid Things That Are Eating At Me:
- Every surface in this house is covered in paper clutter, dog hair or crayon marks.
- There are five trucks on my kitchen floor. I have to shuffle through a parking lot to not cook dinner.
- My son thinks that he is a siren. He has been shrieking “WEEEEEE OH WEEEEEE OH WEEEEEE OH” for 48 hours. Then he pauses, holds up his toy and whispers, “Fire truck.”
- Someone dragged sand box toys across the den and onto the sofa. And you know what the secret prize is inside of sand box toys? Sand.
- It’s always my stuff that gets broken. This week alone: a vase I’ve had for 15 years, some glasses that Richard loved, the finish on the dining table, and the lid to the pine toy box that my Daddy made from boards rescued from the ruins of my great-grandfather’s house. Oh, and my spirit. That, too.
I know that in a couple of days I’ll be back in the ring and swinging. Today, not so much.
Top Five Things That Kept Me Going Tonight:
- Carlos discovered the “Radio On” button on my alarm clock. He pressed it and said, “DANCE!” I started dancing. He turned it off and I froze. We did this for the entirety of “Mojo Rising.” He just about forgot how to breathe he was laughing so hard.
- My friend Sara had a dead battery. I dropped the plans I was making for not making dinner and went to help her. I applied jumper cables successfully for the first time in my life. A sweet boy in a Chi Omega formal shirt asked if we needed help then stood back and watched us manage fine.
- When we were watching Jeopardy, Vivi got a question right (Category: Disney Villains) and she was soooo proud of herself.
- After bath time, I read “The Very Busy Spider” twice then snuggled Carlos for so long that the sleeve of my shirt was wet from his hair.
- This picture that Vivi drew at the YMCA:
All Shall Be Loved.
And I live to fight another day. Back to the trenches!